Chartered Surveyors, Property Consultants, Valuers & Estate Agents Peter E Gilkes & Company

Location Map

Associated Files

 Sales Brochure

Peter E Gilkes & Company

44 Market Street

T 01257 266999
F 01257 264256

E Office/Enquiries

RIC Logo

ISO 9001 Logo

FOR SALE R1021 - Peacock Hall Cottage, 376 Leyland Lane, Leyland, PR25 1TB

Close Map


17th Century Cottage

Deceptively spacious accommodation including

3 Reception Rooms, 2 Bedrooms

Convenient Position

Generous Parking



The Cottage forms part of Peacock Hall, Grade II Listed Building and a fine example of a substantial early 17th Century house depicting a date stone of 1626.

The Hall was built by John Sumner, the Steward of the Ffarington Estate on land bought in 1620 from his employer, William Ffarington of Worden. Division of the house into three occurred between 1838 and 1849 but the Hall still retains its individuality.

It has been the subject of some recent repair and upgrading with some superficial work outstanding including the fitting of a kitchen, to the purchaser’s own choice but for which facilities are available.

The cottage enjoys a most convenient position close to comprehensive neighbourhood amenities with easy access into the Town Centre.


See map


(all sizes are approx)

The accommodation briefly comprises

6.7 m x 4.4 m (22’ x 14’6) with exposed beams and spars, alcove under stairs, period fireplace with brass relief. Central heating radiator

2.9 m x 2.7 m (9’8 x 8’10) with provision for comprehensive fitted units

Dining Room
3.09 m x 3 m (10’2 x 10’) with central heating radiator, glazed doors leading through to

Family Room
(3.6 m x 3.2 m) 11’9 x 10’9 with gas combi boiler

Shower/Toilet with low flush W.C. hand basin and shower cubicle, tiled walls, extractor fan.

First Floor

Landing with central heating radiator and exposed spars

Bedroom 1
4.4 m x 3.2 m (14’9 x 10’6) with central heating radiator, fitted wardrobe and extensive fitted cupboards, exposed beam and spars

Bedroom 2
3.3 m x 2.9 m (11’1 x 9’7) with central heating radiator, exposed beam and spars

Rear Landing

With spacious study area

Bathroom with modern 3 piece suite, shower over bath, attractive panelled walls. Central heating radiator and extractor fan.

Floor Plan

In course of preparation.


Extensive limestone surfaced area to side and rear providing ample car parking and amenity space.

N.B. There is right of way over front grassed area.


Peacock Hall is a Grade II listed building, the description of which reads:

“House, dated 1626, now 3 dwellings. Stone plinth and quoins, handmade brick, stone slate roof. U-shaped plan with projecting wings, and rear extension to middle bay. Two storeys, symmetrical except for off-centre doorway and chimney stack. Façade of flanking gabled crosswings on plinth of 3 course of very large rectangular stone blocks, with similarly large but unequal stone quoins; very long brick hoodmoulds on each floor, the windows beneath them all variously altered. Recessed centre of 2 bays has similar hoodmoulds and windows on each floor; door on right with large stone jambs and lintel with datestone above lettered I:S 1626 Ridge chimney stack in line with door has prominent brick band of 5 courses. Return wall of left wing (No.380) has very prominent external chimney stack with large stone quoins, door at ground floor and hoodmould at 1st floor (no window) Rear wall of this wing contains, at 1st floor a blocked 5- light window with diamond sction wooden mullions and a blocked attic window with chamfered brick jambs, both with hoodmoulds; and No. 378 has a 2-storey rear extension with stone quoins, a brick hoodmould at ground floor, a blocked attic window with hoodmould, and a 2-light brick mullioned window with leaded lights in the side wall. Interior: pairs of quarter-rounded moulding bridging beams on both floors of each part; large chimney breast bressummers in Nos.376 and 378 with substantial brick smoke hood above; urlin-type roof: trusses have large principals, raking struts, and very large trenched purlins.”

Standing on the west side of Leyland Lane, Peacock Hall, a Grade II listed building, is a fine example of a substantial early 17th Century house. Despite being split into three in the middle of the 19th Century, it still retains its individuality”.

At one time the hall had wide mullion lead glazed windows and the datestone states “IS 1626”, the I being Roman J. It has been established that the land was probably bought by John Sumner, the steward of the Ffarington estate in 1620 from his employer, William Ffarington of Worden and built Peacock Hall on the site. By the time of the 1664 hearth tax, the family in occupation was that of Paul and Jane Morae, while in 1785, the owner was Richard Wilding followed by Miss Bateson in 1795. From 1800, the owner was a Robert Weaver, the property being known as “Weavers”.

The first reference to the name of Peacock Hall occurs in the Census Return of 1851 by which time the house had been divided into three dwellings. The splitting up of the house occurred between 1838 and 1841.


For Council Tax purposes the property has been placed in Band B.

Energy Rating

To be provided


The site is freehold and free from chief rent. The property enjoys a right of way over the grassed area to the front. The adjoining cottage has right of way over the stoned area for maintenance to their property.


Mains gas, electricity and water supplies are laid on, drainage to main sewer.

To View

Strictly by appointment with Peter E Gilkes & Company and with whom all negotiations should be conducted.


All services throughout the property are untested. Interested parties must satisfy themselves as to the condition of the central heating system, fitted fires, and other appliances and fittings where applicable.